Upcoming Events & Opportunities
June 17-19, 2013 | Pittsburgh, PA
2013 University-Federal Dialogue on
Energy and Environmental Research and Education
& Congressional Visit Day
April 15-16, 2013 | Washington, D.C.
CEDD Winter Business Meeting
Webinar Series on Online Education
CEDD 2012 Summer Program Conference
The Council of Environmental Deans and Directors (CEDD) is an association of institutional representatives who come together to improve the quality, stature and effectiveness of academic environmental programs at U.S. universities and colleges. CEDD is facilitated by the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) as a part of its University Affiliate Program.
A premier benefit of University Affiliate membership is representation on NCSE’s Council of Environmental Deans and Directors (CEDD). Launched in 2001, CEDD has emerged as the leading organization working to improve the quality, stature, and effectiveness of environmental programs on the nation’s campuses. Government agencies, national and international organizations, and business groups seek out CEDD as a gateway to working with the academic environmental community. Each University Affiliate school designates a representative to serve on CEDD. The group currently includes over 150 members representing academic environmental programs of all sizes and types.
Special Projects and Partnerships
CEDD has initiated projects to help academic programs educate future environmental professionals and leaders. These include:
- A major study of career pathways and opportunities for environmental program graduates;
- The first quantitative study of environmental curricula at more than 250 programs and a new program analysis service;
- A Climate Change Education Resource to create materials and courses to prepare students to respond to the climate challenge, which received $1.7M NSF and $150K NASA grants in 2009;
- An online resource, Interdisciplinary Hiring, Tenure and Promotion: Guidance for Individuals and Institutions, which presents the first comprehensive how-to-guide, providing best practices for each stage of a scholar’s career;
- A collaboration with EnvironMentors, NCSE’s national college access program for underserved youth, to better serve the diversity needs of affiliate schools. 13 university EnvironMentors chapters are operating in the 2012-2013 academic year; and
- Partnerships with national and international academic organizations.
The 2013 CEDD Summer Program Conference will be from June 17-19, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA. The theme will be “The Changing World of Higher Education”. The CEDD Winter Business Meeting convened January 17-18, 2013, directly following the 2013 National Conference: Distasters and Environment. The 2012 CEDD Summer Program Conference was held in San Jose, California on June 18-20. The 2012 CEDD Winter meeting was held on January 21 in Washington, DC in conjunction with NCSE's National Conference:Environment & Security.