Programs and Initiatives
Education and Careers
NCSE has established a range of programs to increase the number, quality and diversity of people capable of bringing science to bear on the critical environmental challenges facing our society. These include the:
- EnvironMentors Program which prepares underserved high school students for college degress and careers in environmental and related sciences through one-to-one mentoring. It includes 10 university-based chapters across the United States.
- University Affiliates Program works to strengthen academic environmental programs at over 150 member colleges and universities nationwide, and presents a unified voice in promoting federal funding for environmental research and education.
- Community College Alliance for Sustainability Education (CCASE) advances sustainability education and training and environmental science on Associate degree-granting instution campuses.
- Council of Environmental Deans and Directors (CEDD) brings together academic leaders to improve the quality and effectiveness of interdisciplinary environmental programs across the nation’s campuses.
- Council of Energy Research and Education Leaders (CEREL) fosters interdisciplinary collaboration among academic energy leaders and advances education, research and communication to ensure a sustainable energy future.
NCSE works to engage diverse stakeholders in building consensus as well as developing and implementing science-based solutions to key environmental issues. Science Solutions programs include the:
- Wildlife Habitat Policy Research Program (WHPRP) that works to accelerate the conservation of wildlife habitat through State Wildlife Habitat Plans.
- Outlook Forest Dialog that enhances research, coordination, and collaboration within the forestry community to promote sustainable forests.
NCSE advocates for the effective use of science to improve environmental decisions and policies. We present expert testimony to Congress, consult with key decision makers, and build coalitions to promote funding for environmental education and research.
National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment
NCSE's annual National Conference has become a signature event, bringing together over 1,000 leaders from science, government, academia, business and civil society to explore and develop science and policy recommendations on a major environmental issue. Over the last decade, conferences have provided a forum to address such issues as water, environmental health, energy, climate change, biodiversity and the green economy.
Encyclopedia of Earth - www.eoearth.org
The Encyclopedia of Earth (EoE) is a free, fully searchable online resource about the Earth, its natural environment, and their interaction with society. EoE has been built by a global community of over 1,400 scholars, educators and professionals from 60 countries, who collaborate to produce quality and reliable environmental information for the web.